Monday, December 20, 2004

Well, Hell

Listening to: Brian Eno, Another Green World

WIth the kids gone, I have no inspiration. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. When they're here, sure, there's no shortage of insanity to report on. With them gone... what, my leftovers gave me gas, I ate a whole box of breakfast bars this morning, I went for a stroll downtown and didn't buy anything?

OK, one thing daddy is doing to take advantage of his week-without-kids - and you're going to think I'm a pretentious fop but what the hell. I read an essay a few years back by Martin Amis that recommended that the only way to read Joyce's Ulysses was to take a week off to devote to it. So I started that last night. I read it back in my early 20's but I have to admit that it was a chore. Last night I started reading it in earnest, taking my time, savoring the words, the craft, the brilliance...

Not all is lost, here.

No comments: