Monday, January 31, 2005

Snowy Monday

Listening to: Brian Eno, Here Come the Warm Jets

School cancelled today due to the big mounds of white stuff piled up outside. It started Saturday night around 8 P.M. and by midnight, we'd already had a foot of it. By the time everything was said and done, it amounted to a little under two feet of snow. I heard some places southwest of here got upwards of four feet. The upshot is, more is expected tonight.

It was a wet and heavy snow, much like a March storm. I went snow-shoeing around the neighborhood around 2 A.M. Sunday morning and quite a few branches (and not just a few trees) fell victim to the accumulation.

When X dropped the brood off yesterday afternoon, the little ones made the most of the gound cover. Good snowball snow and excellent for snowmen. Unfortunately, my kids are wimps when it comes to the cold and were hot to get inside for a little warmth. No coaxing them out into to it today (as I ruined my back for the fourth time in less than 48 hours, shoveling the walkway) and we're coming to the end of a Harry Potter-a-thon. Teriyaki chicken breasts are baking in my attempt to add a little Polynesian flavor to our mid-winter isolation; ulterior motives, yes, daddy is hoping a nice dose of tryptophane will work it's magic and daddy can steal an hour for a long soak in a hot tub (alas, not a "hot-tub"). Daddy, being smart and proactive, realizes the potential for this winter wonderland degrading into the Donner party and plans accordingly with preventative medicine (add a glass or three of cheap Cabernet for Daddy after the tryptophane sends the wee ones aslumber).

If anyone writes to say that "snow news is good news" will be ignored.

A round of applause, please, for Busy Mom for extricating herself from "Not linking me" purgatory and joining the list of Patriside hoi poloi.

Finally, I never figured my last post would get me invitations! Thank you Pale Ale and LLG, your flirting had me smiling all weekend long!

1 comment:

Busy Mom said...

Wht, I don't think I've ever been part of the hoi poloi before. Is there a membership card or a handshake or something?