Listening to: my finished product for Mamacita
Damn, this is a good mix (Heh!). The mix is titled "Driving Late at Night... Far Away" and it's filled with music that has an ethereal quality that evokes, for me, memories of driving late at night on dark roads, lights on the horizon suggesting lives I'll never know but choose to think about, anyway.
My father is retired US Air Force and we used to move around quite a bit. There are memories of the family driving silently through the night to the next duty station, no sound but the low hum of the engine and the whisper of music on the radio from stations barely in range. In my 20's I did a lot of travelling, with my band and on my own (placating my Jack Kerouac muse), again through nights as black as oil, the signal of some distant AM tower beckoning me to forget about the midnight chill and lose myself in spectral frequencies.
In the midst of our mixmania, Mamacita suggested we start some kind of mixmania contest or something. I'm all for that, frankly although it would involve a bunch of us mailing disks to each other. Still it could be instructive and fun. Another tie binding us all together. Let me know.
--- Mamacita may NOT read the following ---
OK, here's the line-up on my masterpiece:
1. The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You
2. Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
3. Sinead O'Conner - Jerusalem
4. South - Paint the Silence
5. Rolling Stones - Time Waits For No One
6. Talk Talk - Inheritance
7. Clan of Xymox - Medusa
8. Supremes - Reflections
9. Skylab - Seashell
10. Paul Simon - Can't Run But
11. Los Lobos - Kiko and the Lavender Moon
12. Amon Tobin - Down & To the Left
13. Radiohead - Like Spinning Plates
14. Coldplay - A Rsuh of Blood to the Head
15. Interpol - Untitled
16. Q. Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses
17. Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High the Moon
I think it's awesome, m'self, and I hope Mamacita enjoys it. Anyway, for those of you who aren't Mamacita, you see what you're getting into should you choose to participate in mixmania...