Wednesday, March 30, 2005

My Bright, Shining Light

Listening to: Creedence Clearwater Revival, Green River

About 7 tonight, I'd had it: no more toys, time to put everything back in order, get busy or no book at bedtime. And we're not just shoving everything into the closet or under the bed, bygod, we're putting crayons in the colors box and clothes in a heap by the door and dolls on the bed. Don't make me come in there.

I couldn't have asked for a better oldest daughter, Lilly is take charge but rarely bossy. She's patient, forgiving, compassionate.

"You kiss your brother," she demanded of Marni as Zeke stood in the hall, crying. Marni had popped Zeke for some insult and Marni has a mean jab. Lilly was being a big sister more than a peacemaker since, at two, Zeke is a deficit in the task of putting things away.

Marni came out of the room to kiss Zeke and I picked him up, read him a Clifford book, kissed him and tucked him in. Nite-nite lil' buddy, time to get out of your sister's way. In the meantime, Lilly marshalls her sister into picking up their room, intent on getting a story. Hup, hup, hup, pick it up, sistah, please, I want a story.

An angel from the time she gets up until the time she goes to bed. She was in trouble the night before. We'd stayed at my parent's house and she was supposed to be sleeping but instead was sneaking down grandma's hallway and tipped over an antique table, smashing it on the floor. Daddy was furious and she was exiled away from her sister, mostly because I just wanted her to go to sleep but also to consider the consequences of her misbehavior.

"I'm so sorry," she cried, "I'm sooooooo sorry...," pathetic, plaintive, rocking back and forth beneath the blankets. I had to assure her that it wasn't the table, accidents happen, it was the running around when she was supposed to be in bed that sent the princess to the dungeon. Daddy's sorry he yelled at you, now go to sleep.

The girls cleaned up well, well enough for 6 and 4, and got their bedtime requests, a selection from the Blues Clues collection for Marni and Peter and the Wolf for Lilly. Not a sound after the lights went out, no requests for water, no giggling, nothing crashing to the floor.

Neither of my girls stirred, no doubt because Lilly had let her sister know it was time to sleep.

-----------
Jay, the Zero Boss needs help in a big way. Don't ask me what for, just help. He wouldn't ask if it wasn't absolutely necessary and I wouldn't say anything unless I felt he not only needed it but deserved it. I'd contribute but I just got the van out of the shop today and after gassing it up, have $1.83 until tomorrow. However, going to his site and clicking ads doesn't cost me anything and...

No comments: