Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A Twist in the Mix (As If Mixmania! Needed Any More Twists)

Listening to: Velvet Underground, Loaded

Two weeks to go towards the deadline of June's Mixmania! and we already have 24 participants tossed into the... er, mix. Interestingly enough, that's the same number who signed up to participate in April's Mixmania! and I'm confident this crew will deliver (last time two crapheads never fulfilled their side of the bargain; needless to say, they'll never be invited back). Yeah, so although the numbers are the same - and that could change with two weeks left - everything's different. And now it's about to get differenter. Er.

Now - the entire fucking internet needs to hear this:
Okay- I have an idea/question/possible favor. I got an e-mail I will
forward to you from my brother-in-law about my other brother-in-law, Bill. Rich's (FG) brother. I've posted about him before, including on Memorial Day but the long and short of it is that at age 56, after 30 years of service and 4 months of retirement, he got called back. He's in Iraq. Slogging around in incredible heat, miserable conditions, fleas, dust, etc. About the only things worth anything over there in terms of gifts are DVDs and CDs. What's the chance of asking mixed mania people to send a second cut of the exact CD they are making, also to you, and these could be boxed up and shipped over? People could throw in any old DVDs they're not using, too. It has nothing to do with politics, pro or con and everything to do with supporting a real live group of service men. Whaddya think?

Hell yes I'm up for that. These men and women are doing the hard work for us, whether we want them to or not, willing to do it in whatever shitstorm America asks them to enter.

This brilliant idea isn't mine, of course. Last brilliant idea I had is still sitting in pieces out on my deck. If you haven't figured out that it's the brilliant Vicky that came up with this idea then, go, now, to her blog, move along there's nothing to see here, her brilliance makes this little puddle of blog look like dim bulb central.

For myself, I'm burning a few disks, including a disk of some subversive rap. A copy of Dr. Stranglove, certainly. I'd send a few sheets of acid if I had an island to retire to but that's not happening. No one wants to eat my cookies, so that's out too.

Sounds of summer and sounds of home, back in the world, Sanityland (relatively, y'know). Whatever sounds you send, someone will be happier, and if there's any other purpose for music, I can't think of it.

5 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Brilliant idea. Where do we send them?

Panthergirl said...

Exxxxxxxcellent!!! At his age, he'll appreciate my mix. ;)

amarkonmywall said...

Hey, Jim- as usual, you deliver! Thanks so vey much. I just added a note at my place that they can send them all in the same mailer to you and we'll get them posted to the APO address. Also, I put the APO address up in mine in case people want to send a CD or DVD with note directly. Thanks again. I owe ya.

Anonymous said...

So... two copies of the CD, one to the address you tell me, and one to some other address you'll tell me, so it can be forwarded? No problem. Shall I burn the second CD with track info?

Puck said...

Yes, everyone, you'll get 2 addresses... the person you're matched with and my addy to use as your return address (to keep you anonymous). Send your 2nd CD to me and I'll forward them on to our friends in the sand.

You people ROCK!!!