Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Listening to: The Replacements, Let It Be

For those of you who have emailed me your intentions to join in on the Holiday mixmania! - I haven't forgotten you - just been, um, preoccupied. I promise to get on this by the end of the week. Natalie & Shari - I swear, your disks will get mailed soon and I'm sorry - life got ahead of me

Two down, two to go.

Lilly was laid out on the couch all day with a little blue waste basket next to her, vomiting into the bucket about once an hour. Poor little thing. The process was always the same, her starting to whine, then cry, then her wretching into a bucket, a plastic echo maginfying her misery.

Zeke started this off a few days back, low-grade fever, diarrhea and then lots of vomit. Lots of it.

The doctor said to restrict solid foods and keep the kids on clear liquids. I could have sworn I told my mom this but somehow, the message was lost and she plied the hungry little guy with toaster waffles and chocolate milk. Lots of it.

On the way home from my parent's, Zeke did the whining thing, then the crying, the vomit. Lots of it.

It's about a half-hour drive from my parent's to my place and, well, what can you do? Zeke had to sit there covered in his own puke until we could get home and I could carry him in the house like a tube full of enriched uranium, strip him down and get him in the tub.

After I got the kids to bed, I carried a bucket of hot, soapy water out to the minivan, removed his carseat and went to work on the damage. It was obvious that, after almost two days of not having solid food or choclate milk, the little guy gorged himself. There must have been a half gallon of emesis puddled up in the rear bench of the minivan. Yes, lots of it.

After I had that cleaned up, I went to work on the carseat, a freakin' chinese puzzle. The seat cover was intertwined with the belts and there was no directions on how to remove it. I tried running the entire carseat under the shower head but that got old with a quickness. The Evenflo website was no help and I was forced to go at the sopping, disgusting thing with a flat-head screwdriver.

Let me tell you folks, that works.

With a clean carseat and two kids with hit with this evil bug, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. One more kid and me. Who will get the pukes next?

Place your bets now.

4 comments:

landismom said...

Oh, is there anything more pathetic than in a kid in a puke-filled car seat? Poor baby!

That sounds like a rough time, hope it misses the rest of your household. We've got wretched head colds over here, but it's not as bad as serial vomiting. I'm sending you healthy vibes.

Silly Old Bear said...

Last time that happened, I went to Target and bought another car seat, the puke covered one went right in the dumpster (behind Target).

Not always an option, surely, but saved me spending a lot of time figuring out the puzzle and washing and figuring it out in reverse to get it all back together.

Thankfully I only have one child left in a car-seat, and she should win the Iron Stomach Award as I've never known her to puke.



Oops, I bet I just jinxed us...

trusty getto said...

Bummer, man. Bummer.

I think you'll both be stricken at roughly the same time, I'm so terribly sorry to say.

Watch what you eat, b/c you may be seeing it again . . .

Natsthename said...

Ohh, the puking sickness is THE worst! I feel for ya, man! Keep buckets nearby and hope they can manage to HIT the BUCKET when it needs to be used! (at least it's only coming out of one end, right?!)

Here's to speedy recoveries!