Tuesday, May 23, 2006

As if I needed a reason to get drunk

According to the Fox News website (via HuffPo - didja' really think that I would read Fox News?), the cocktail is celebrating its 200th Anniversary this month. Well really, just the first published account of a cocktail and not the first mixed drink. Seems that no one can remember exactly when that happened, not surprisingly (although I can imagine it was possible someone wrote "Ye mix bitters with gin and add a slice of lime," on a bar napkin only to have it lost in the wash).

If there was ever a reason to celebrate, this is it. Births of Saviors and Declarations of Independence seem to be big reasons to get bagged and bust up the furniture but I have to confess that since 2001, the 4th of July only depresses me, while saviors pretty much went the way of Santa Claus with me. A cocktail, on the other hand, is a nightly ritual (yes, you could say I drink religiously). Given the choice between God, Country, and Booze, I'd take the drink.

If my patriotism is an issue to you, I defer to the famous quote from Casablanca (Major Strasser: What is your nationality? Rick: I'm a drunkard). If my take on God or religion is an issue for you, my response is that you need to loosen up and have a cocktail, for Christ's sake. After all, I toast your well-being, determination, and independence so it seems the least you could do is STFU about what I think and what I drink.

I sure picked a bad month to quit smoking.

1 comment:

trusty getto said...

And "I sure picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue."