This time around, the theme is an Evil Mix, meaning songs that describe the pimpled, hairy side of your soul. It's not another elaboration of your Guilty Pleasures (NO! Not again!) but songs that express your darker side, songs screaming from the shadows. Not exactly the sunniest theme for late spring but, I think, devilish fun.
Obvious choices would be "Sympathy For the Devil", "Shout at the Devil", "Dans Macabre", etc., but I think being subtle works best in this mix. Being Bettie Page or Richard M. Nixon as you mix this will probably be your best bet. Get your Ya-Ya's out before summer arrives, a sort of spring cleaning of the soul as summer approaches. Exorcise your demons on disk before you slip on the speedo or bikini and bare it all, anyway.
If you're unfamiliar with how this goes, here's how we play: you mix, you mail, you get a disk, everyone surfs around to figure out who sent them the disk. That's over-simplified but that's the gist. The official rules are:
- You have until Cinco de Mayo to sign up: express your intentions in the comments AND email me your information, your URL and postal address (that includes you folks who have played before). You have to do BOTH - just commenting or just emailing me won't do it. I need you in the comments to let everyone know you're in and mixing, I need you to email me so I don't have to hunt down your info. My email is over on the left; if you can't find it, you're not smart enough to play - sorry.
- On May 10th, I'll email you the postal address of the person you're to send your mix to; you'll use a postal address I provide to mask your identity.
- On May 15th, mail your disk WITHOUT THE SONG LIST: leave your recipient guessing what the songs are on your mix.
- On June 5th, I'll post the URLs of everyone participating.
- Post your song list on your blog on the sixth of June*.
- If you're going to comment on the mix you received, don't be a prick - focus on the fact that someone went to the trouble to send you a mix, be polite with your thanks and don't try to impress us with how much of an insufferable music snob you think you are. Play nice - no one likes an inconsiderate asshole, asshole, and no one cares how your delicate tastes were violated. Be gracious, for God's sake, and give us the impression that you weren't raised by feral dogs.
Easy as that sounds, it's amazing that a few numbskulls can't be adults and will slink out with free music with no reciprocity. Sad. However, I assure everyone who plays that they will get a disk.
Today was Opening Day, one of my favorite days of the year, an appropriate day to unveil this latest version of this game. Get your mix on, you sinners.
Every mixmania! round involves me chastising sluggards and dullards for not sending their mix or posting their list and this time is no exception. A couple of people haven't received their mixes and several people have not posted their lists (my match posted her's here - TYVM, dollin'!), a situation which really SUCKS for those who participated in good faith; like some cheap-ass ebay scam - witless. And I know griping about this ends up pissing off the people who didn't pony up, which explains why I have all of 5 regular readers. Hell fire, I was writing this blog long before this funny little game brought me traffic, putting stuff out there for no other reason than to talk about being a dad, not really caring who read me. Thus, if my being pissy about you agreeing to participate and then spacing out on your obligation to the game rankles your ritalin addled ass, get over it, be a goddamn grown up and fulfill your end of the bargain.
In spite of the hassle and the headache (and expense: I invariably end up mailing my own disks to the participants who got screwed), here we go again.
UPDATE: Per the comments - you may participate if you don't have a blog but you need a blogger to agree to post your song list.
*The first person who puts two and two together - in the comments - gets a free copy of my mix!