Monday, August 01, 2005

Get your burners warmed up and ready for August's mixmania! with a Driving theme

Listening to: Ella Fitzgerald, The Best of the Song Books

Time to start collecting names for August's mixmania! - the rules are posted below.

The votes are in and "Driving" won by a landslide. This is a pretty flexible theme, I think. Now, the songs don't have to be "about driving" although I think that would be fun and if that's the way you want to go, Godspeed. You can also make it a disk of song's you'd drive to, a disk you'd mix to sustain you on a roadtrip. It can be a disk that evokes a particular stretch of road (i.e., California's Highway One, the most spectacular drive in the US if not the planet) or destination (i.e. "To Grandma's" or "Get pumped up for a Dead show").

My own disk will attempt to evoke the atmosphere of a drive. Although I won't include it on my mix, Kraftwerk's Autobahn is a perfect (if not ridiculously quintessential) example of a song that paints a mental picture. When my mix is done, there probably won't be a single cut that's remotely about driving but every cut capturing the essence of a drive (and a particular moment) for me.

So have fun with being creative and caressing your inner-DJ.

The Rules: if you intend to participate this month, please pay attention to the following:

  1. Deadline for joining in is August 26, You need to email me your postal address in order to participate. If I don't get an email from you, you'll be left out. You can email your info to:

    patriside *at* gmail dot com

    By all means, leave a comment to show you want to participate and give everyone else a sense that they might be the lucky recipient of your mix.

  2. Your mix needs to be burned and mailed by September 1 - or at least, by the end of the first week of September. Ratting myself out, I'll admit that I mailed my mix a few days after the deadline (yeah, yeah), so I understand that sometimes we can't get to the PO right away. A few days late I can understand; a few weeks late is mindboggling.

    I don't know why I need to emphasize this again but if you agree to participate, your mix will be in the mail around September 1, got it? It's just not fair to the people who are mixing and mailing in good faith when they to have to wait and wonder for weeks to see if their honest efforts have been reciprocated.

  3. You'll get the postal address of the recipient of your mix by August 27 along with my postal address (to use as a return address).

  4. Post your songlist September 15 - yeah, I know this is different from last time, I think it will be fun to sustain the suspense of "who sent this?" and "I'm dying to know what this song is!" I'll email everybody September 14 with a reminder to post lists. Sept. 15 will be designated "songlist day".

  5. DO NOT include your songlist with the disk you mail, the idea is to get your recipient to surf around to figure out what the cuts are, who sent the disk. If you're stymied on how to erase ID3 information from the music files, I recommend you go download Musicmatch Jukebox to convert your files and then go here for a tutorial on how to erase the ID3 info (Mac users are on your own!).

  6. Burn a CD with wav files, not MP3s; if you can't fit all your lovelies on a single disk, burn 2 disks, burn 6 disks, I don't care. Just burn it with files that can be played on any old skool CD player.


That's it. If those rules are too much, don't play. It doesn't bother me to mail disks to the unfortunate folks who got burned - I *love* sharing music - but it's infuriating having to answer desperate emails sent from folks who've been left out in the cold because somebody couldn't be bothered to do what they promised to do.

And if you played last time and have STILL not received a disk, email me and I'll mail a disk to you.

Burn, baby, burn!!!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in once again... e-mail sent, and this time let's hope you won't have to send one yourself!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I want to play again. (Please.)

Anonymous said...

As in "driving" Mother crazy? Oh, I see--driving a car--like on a road trip with eleven children? I'm thinking Alban Berg!

I need to put on my reading glasses and ponder your instructions for awhile. Have a little patience for someone who doesn't know her ID3s from her MP3s? And...burning? Do you mean like the fire at Valhalla? I've also never even dreamt of caressing my inner DJ!

Hmm...if I get really desperate I can ask my teenagers...ok, I'm in, Jim!

Ken said...

I'm in too. Thanks for orgainizing this. It is a GREAT idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm new, but I saw this at Hey, You and thought it looked like fun.

I just made a CD for our road trip in May to MN...I'm not sure if I want to use that or make something else up.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'll do it again. BUT THIS TIME I'LL BE ON TIME! I swear!

Lauren
feministe.us/blog/

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I also forwarded the info to hubby in hopes that he'll officially participate this time around.

Silly Old Bear said...

Are we there yet? How about now? I need to go potty!

No, we never drive anywhere, I don't have any ideas for this disk...

JK, I am SO FREAKING IN for this one!!!

Laura said...

I'm in! This all falls just post move but by golly if it means I have to get jacked up on No Doz and Jolt Cola to fire off a CD, then I'm in!

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Can it be "Driving my family mad" songs? I have tons of those.

Anonymous said...

same as Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I'm in, and conviently, already have the exact mix for it. :) (we had several road trips already, and two more coming up!)

As for Matt, he's on his own, and still didn't get a cd, btw. :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a blast... I want to play, pretty please! Will send you an e-mail now. ^_^

Lost said...

Can I play too? I found your link through Mamacita.

Natsthename said...

I'm in!!

Panthergirl said...

I am SO IN... even though I never got my July mixmania disk. :(

It is better to give than receive, or so they say.

Anonymous said...

Hubby is going to officially participate this time around. I emailed our address to you once more for him.

Betsy said...

You know I'm in!

Anonymous said...

0oh, I'm in this time FO SHO. I'm sending you an email now!

not veronica said...

Ha! Looks like I've dragged all of my blogging relatives into the fray ... I'm in too! And now that I'm home I can finally listen to the disc from the LAST mixmania!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Email on the way...