Thursday, March 31, 2005

April is the LOVE Month and Click Thru For Jay Month

Listening to: Black Sabbath, Paranoid

Sometimes I'm a freakin' genius. Just ask my kids. And then, this morning I got this really nice email from The Zero Boss. As I mentioned in the previous post, The Zero Boss needs help and if you have it to give you can go HERE to give it (and I strongly encourage you to do that). Whether or not you can give, you can also click the ads on his page because he gets paid for click-thru's on those as well. A little delayed and not a huge profit but it's something (as Jay's email revealed).

I run Firefox as my browser, so I can open links in tabs, an extremely cool feature since it will open a link for me to view later (if I want) and allows me to keep viewing the page I'm on). So I just click the ads on Jay's site and let the pages open in tabs. Let em' sit open for awhile but out of sight, out of mind, I can close them later. No hassle to me and someone gets paid. It's that easy.

I signed up for Google Ads back in December and have made ZILCH from them. Really, considering the amount of traffic I get on this site, I never had anything other than modest goals for the ads - I figured at best I might get a six-pack a month out of it - but it hasn't paid me a damn thing. I almost uninstalled the damn things but now, with the chance to do some good, I'm hanging onto my Ads account.

Of course, I owe The Zero Boss a huge debt. Back in early December I was getting maybe 5 hits a day and about the only regular readers I had were Hank from Hank's Place, Laura, X, and PinkMe over at Looking Rosey. Then Pippa noticed me (and gave me a righteous mention) and I noticed a big bump in my traffic.

Suddenly I started writing regularly because I was getting read. I'd almost given up on this blog when some angels appeared and encouraged me to keep posting. When Heather (from Just Heather) nominated me for the BOB's "Best Daddy Blog" award (Jenny from Three Kid Circus clued me into that), things really started to hum and I started making wonderful friends like GraceD, JenL, Mamacita, and Wendy, people who were reading me daily and leaving scads of comments and giving me more love than I deserved. I was beside myself and amazed at how fast this blog was growing.

A few days after that happened, Jim at Genuine gave me a shout to let me know that Jay The Zero Boss had praised my blog. Jim let me know that, in no uncertain terms, when The Zero Boss gives your blog the nod, you've made the big time.

Indeed. Suddenly my traffic exploded exponentially. My top referrer went from "Page Not Loading: Redirecting" to The Zero Boss and my hit counter was humming. My BOB nomination didn't hurt, of course, but it was Jay who really pushed this blog out of complete obscurity and that is a debt I can hardly begin to repay.

Since then I have made some wonderful friends, fellow dads (my long-lost twin Steve at Blog D'Elisson and like-minded radical Chip at DaddyChip) and wild women (Amy, BusyMom, Crystal, Glitzy, Happy Heathen, Melina, Pale Ale, et al) and it's been an honor to share my life with my kids with all of you. Everyone linked over on the left side deserves my thanks (and if I forgot to mention you here, give me HELL) but all roads lead to the Zero Boss and I implore you to do what you can to go visit him, make a donation, and click his ads. Spread the love.

13 comments:

Mamacita said...

I'm supporting Jay, too. But although I've had Google ads on my blog for many months, I've made zilch. I hope Jay does better, for it's a good cause and if anyone deserves it, he does. As for you and your blog. . . . I come here all the time for the quality. Your blog is awesome, and so are you. When's the April MixMania?

lu said...

J, now what was that you were saying a little earlier today about somebody... "having great taste in friends"?... You have a golden heart. Thanks for inspiring me to do my good day for the day.

Pssstt, I am seriously crushing on you...

pale ale said...

oh yeah. April is all about the lovin' (wink wink) come over, I'll show you. oh wait, youre talking about the month, right? see i get so confused.

The Zero Boss said...

I'm not worthy of all the gushing, really. :) But I do so appreciate the kind thoughts and the assistance. It means the world at times like this.

As for highlighting another great blogger, it's the least I can do. The blogosphere is a community, and those who have the good fortune of gaining some level of notoriety have an obligation to call out talent when they see it.

Nino the Mindboggler said...

:-D You both are soooooo sweet and it's a joy to blog here and read all my friends.

A CRUSH?!?!
Wow..... better not let Grace know.

Nino the Mindboggler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GraceD said...

Lulu, dollin, if I can take on Jay Zero Boss -

http://fatherknowsnothing.blogspot.com/2005/03/another-big-day-at-patriside-as-i-get.html

- then I'm willing to duke it out with you too.

Again...BITCHES...Jim is mine, mine, mine.

pinkme said...

WOW! Looks like I got here just in time for the fight!
I will head over to Jay's sight and click away. I also plan on giving after payday (you know how that goes).
You are a doll!

lu said...

Well, Grace, let me just back waaay the hell up. Ain't no way I'm gonna step on your Goddess toes.

As I missed your earlier announcement, I was unaware that Jim was spoken for. At the same time, I can say I am not at all surprised what with him being the kick-ass seexxxyy-funny-tender-smart-sweet-witty kind of man that you just want to....

uh, what was I saying? Oh, yeah. No worries, G. That ain't lu's style.

Carry on people. It's all good. Nuthin to see here.

Nino the Mindboggler said...

Really, the sweetest expression of affection is the willingness to engage in a cat fight over me... in a G-string... in a kiddie-pool full of Jello...

panthergirl said...

Count me in as another Wild Woman, here via Jay's blog. :)

chip said...

wow Jim I'm impressed! You've started a bidding war here. I don't think I needed the image of the kiddie pool full of jello though.

Heather said...

Add me to the I ♥ Jim club!